Monday, April 30, 2012

Finding jobs, REDUCING HUNGER, providing hope

A week ago I got a new kitten from a friend who runs another local non-profit.  She knew I was looking to adopt a new kitten and she let me know she has 3 who were ready to find new homes.  We selected a little tabby we affectionately call "Katniss" after the main character in the hunger games.  Unlike our other 2 cats, Katniss has turned out to be quite scrappy.  She is into everything and is a ball of energy.  What strikes me the most about her (other than how cute she is) is that she eats every meal like she may not get another one.  Now, I know my friend fed the kittens, but for this one, when the food is out of site she seems to think it wont come back.

Now why am I talking about my kitten?  I am mentioning this because earlier today, Harry, one of our counselors went to the pantry and grabbed a few packages of cheese and crackers.  He said he keeps them in his office for clients and shares them with people who are hungry.  There are people who have a tough time sitting and sharing their story with us because they are so hungry, they can't focus.  Imagine for a moment not knowing where your next meal was coming from.  We have so many people who come in, who don't have to imagine.  They just don't know.

Thankfully, God provides food to Christian HELP for us to share with those in need so they don't have to worry about their next meal.  I have seen people recently at events who have eaten more than I would have expected or squirreled away some food for later.  When one gentleman came up to me after an event and asked me how he could get food from our pantry, it made me stop to realize that people you never imagine are hurting.

No child should have to go hungry is one of our promises we try to keep.  Through the efforts of Christian HELP and the Casselberry Community task force, we are making a dent.  This is not because of our work, but because of the support we receive from community partners and people like you.  I am so thankful to know where my next meal is coming from.  Aren't you?

Katniss at 5 weeks


Thank you for all you do!

Sandi Vidal
Executive Director