Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Keeping it real

One of the great things about working at Christian HELP is being able to reach out and help others. I spend quite a bit of time doing administrative work and networking, but on occasion I like to counsel others in order to keep it real.

I answered the phone one day on a Friday afternoon. The call came from a lady named BJ who had been living in the woods for 6 years and was now in a home with running water and a roof over her head. She had called to thank one of our counselors for listening to her and for the fresh food we had given her. I listened to BJ talk about how God had been so good to her and how blessed she was.

For just a moment, I felt guilty for not being thankful enough. God has been so amazing to me and to this Ministry. I am very thankful. Even more so, as I get to talk to the people who have been led to this Ministry for help. I am thankful for the staff and volunteers, thankful for the building, thankful for the clients, and thankful that God supplies all of our needs through the generosity of others. I am especially thankful for BJ who helps me to keep it real.

BJ is a writer too, and I hope to be able to read her writings soon. She set up a blog today and I will post a link once she has some postings in there.